2008-05-14

To hell with climate change, time to speak up for the fish!

Most media are writing about the polar ice melting, polar bears being exterminated.. like anyone's going to notice that they're gone. At the same time, something much worse is happening, and it should deserve at least as much media coverage as climate change: unsustainable overfishing in the seas. This article is a very awakening and scary read. Spread the word and make politicians do something! I've never seen a polar bear, nor do I have a particular desier to see it, but i like very much to eat fish.

[PS. I think that disappearance of any species is regrettable, but I certainly prioritize a food source over some exotic animal. It's regrettable that media don't have same opinion.]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike Eberhart said...

I am totally with you on this. I am convinced that humans, due to their overwhelming greed (which leads to overwhelming short-sightedness and stupidity), will ensure their own annihilation. For being the supposed smartest animal on the planet, we act the most ignorant because we ignore common sense so long as our short-term needs are met.

So, here we the human species sits in our vehicle that appears to be on auto-pilot when it comes to global destruction. And, when we should be hitting the brakes, we are ever increasingly pressing on the accelerator. I hate to be a pessimist, but the fish are just one more thing that convinces me we are all in for some dire times ahead.

On another note: what became of that Cairo / minion solver you were working on? I was hoping to see it in action :)

zvrba said...

Short-term thinking worked in small communities of gatherers and hunters where selfish behavior probably was the best for an individual. However, the evolution didn't hold pace with our specialization and later technological development.. managing large groups and long-term strategic planning is still lacking in an average human.

About the solver: it works, the code is checked into my private SVN, but I have no time to make a decent release :-(