Take 1: It complains that the system
iconvroutines are not good enough, and suggests that I should use libiconv.
Take 2: I just put
--disable-iconvoption to the configure script. I never use I18N features, always use just ASCII character set, and in fact always give
--disable-nlsto configure script. Now it compiled, but when I tried to open my IMAP folder, I've received a very bizzare and uninformative error "Bad IDN".
I google around and find out that the GNU libidn has something to do with UTF-8 and other character conversions (i didn't want to investigate further; the whole issue with I18N and localization disgusts me). So, Take 3: I find GNU libiconv somewhere on the system, give its location to the configure script, compile the program, and - voila! Now it works with IMAP.
The developers could have at least either:
- Document that the IMAP support needs iconv,
- Make a better error text instead of "Bad IDN",
- Check for dependencies in the configure script,
- Make the IMAP code independent of libidn.
Preferably, all of it. Instead, it took me about hour and a half of experimenting with various compilation options to make it work.